IdeaWorksCompany explores how Eurowings, Virgin Atlantic, Vueling, AnadoluJet, Jazeera, and other airlines are becoming better retailers.
November 8, 2016, Dublin, Ireland – We are living in an era in which airlines have the technological freedom and the willingness to dismiss tradition and seek seemingly limitless revenue opportunities. The most retail-savvy are in continuous pursuit of what works and discarding what no longer sells. Adding to this vortex, and to the blurring of traditional methods, is the expansion of mobile technology, metasearch sites, direct connect, and enhanced GDS capabilities. The world of commerce rewards retailers who adjust the mix of product, pricing, and promotion to stimulate consumers to spend more.
The latest report from IdeaWorksCompany provides a wide variety of examples − covering traditional airlines, low cost carriers, and suppliers from all over the world – to demonstrate unique methods that generate more revenue from the sale of tickets and ancillary revenue activities:
- Eurowings encouraged 45% of its consumers to upgrade to a higher fare and more frills by offering branded fares.
- Virgin Atlantic increased online sales by 5% through a service making it easy for consumers to resume their booking days after visiting the site.
- Vueling’s Pending Passenger option allows consumers to book seats, pay a €2 fee, and return within 72 hours to provide a companion’s name and other details.
- Jazeera boosts customer loyalty and generates ancillary revenue at its new exclusive 500 car Park & Fly facility at Kuwait Airport.
- AnadoluJet generated 100,000 new passenger trips from a campaign that provided $5 (TRL 14.90) airport transfers at its Istanbul and Ankara airport hubs.
- American and its AAdvantage program are expected to pick up an additional $1.6 billion over three years through new credit card deals offered by two banks instead of one.
“Top Merchandising Innovations to Delight Air Travelers and Boost Profits” was released today as a free-of-charge 16-page report sponsored by CarTrawler. Please click here to download the full report in English.
About CarTrawler: CarTrawler connects business and leisure customers and online travel retailers with more road and rail transport solutions than they will find anywhere else. 95 international airlines and 2,000 travel retailers around the world trust CarTrawler to provide their customers with real-time access to over 1,600 leading and independent car rental agents, coach transfers, rail networks and chauffeur drive services at 43,000 locations in 195 countries. Its in-house booking engine gives it the opportunity to easily and quickly scale to accommodate customer demand. CarTrawler also owns and operates the Cabforce, Holiday Autos and arguscarhire.com brands. The company headquarters and Customer Centre of Excellence are located in Dublin, Ireland, with additional offices in Boston, London and Helsinki. CarTrawler is private equity backed by BC Partners and Insight Venture Partners. For further information, please visit www.cartrawler.com
About IdeaWorksCompany: Celebrating 20 years, IdeaWorksCompany was founded in 1996 as a consulting organization building brands through innovation in product, partnership and marketing, and building profits through financial improvement and restructuring. Its international client list includes airlines and other travel industry firms in Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the Americas. IdeaWorksCompany specializes in ancillary revenue improvement, brand development, customer research, competitive analysis, frequent flier programs, and on-site executive workshops. Learn more at IdeaWorksCompany.com.