CarTrawler-sponsored research determines face masks required by almost all airlines, with widespread adoption of electrostatic disinfection, temperature checks, and hand sanitizer
Dublin, Ireland & Shorewood, Wisconsin, 07 July 2020: A CarTrawler-sponsored survey with 25 of the world’s leading airlines in June 2020 has identified 10 key strategies that are boosting traveller confidence during the pandemic.
- Spray and wipe disinfecting: The passenger cabins of the world’s airline fleet should be sparkling clean after all the spray-wipe-repeat activity promised by airlines. Without exception, carriers describe a cleaning regimen occurring before flights and becoming more robust during overnight stops.
- Electrostatic antiviral spraying: This method, widely used by US-based airlines, dispenses disinfectant with a mild positive electrical charge. The small particles are then attracted to cabin surfaces as these have a natural neutral or negative charge. It’s a very effective method to coat every surface such as overhead bins, seats, air nozzles and light controls, and tray tables.
- Face covering required: All airlines in the survey, with the exception of Qantas, require passengers to wear face coverings. Air France, as a result of home government regulation, requires passengers to upgrade to surgical masks.
- Care kits for travellers: Items provided free of charge to passengers may include some or all of these elements: face mask, sanitizing wipes, and sanitizing liquid.
- Temperature check required: It’s difficult to discern from airline websites if these checks are administered by an airline (such as Air Canada and Frontier) or by airport authorities, especially at major hub locations.
- Cabin baggage restrictions (CB): Airlines restrict carry-on bags to create a safer and less congested boarding and deplaning process.
- Hand sanitizer (HS): The table reflects airlines that indicate the availability of hand sanitizer in gate areas and on aircraft.
- Middle seat kept empty (MS)
- Protective equipment for cabin crew (PE): Beyond the provision of a higher quality mask, some airlines provide cabin crew with clear face shields or goggles, and plastic blouses/aprons.
- Spraying or fogging disinfectant (SD)
The table below (also available as a graphic) displays the results of a review of 25 leading network airlines and low-cost carriers grouped by global region.
“It’s hugely encouraging to see the proactive and sensible measures airlines are taking to prioritise passenger health and safety,” said Aileen McCormack, Chief Commercial Officer at CarTrawler, speaking in Dublin today. “The travel industry has been hit hard, but these measures signal positive momentum and will provide consumers with the confidence and peace of mind they’re seeking.”
To download the full report, click here: https://bit.ly/2VSQi6p
Disclaimer: IdeaWorksCompany makes every effort to ensure the quality of the information in this survey. Before relying on the information, readers should obtain any appropriate professional advice relevant to their particular circumstances. Neither IdeaWorksCompany nor CarTrawler guarantee, or assume any legal liability or responsibility for, the accuracy, currency or completeness of the information.
About CarTrawler: “CarTrawler is the leading B2B provider of car rental and mobility solutions to the global travel industry. We bring opportunities to life through an online marketplace connecting our partners, customers and mobility suppliers. CarTrawler’s end-to-end technology platform expands our airline and travel partners’ offering to their customers, creating substantial ancillary revenue opportunities. We provide unrivalled breadth and depth of content worldwide, including car rental, private airport transfer and ride-hailing services. CarTrawler creates innovative, data-led solutions for some of the largest travel brands in the world, including American Express, Alaska Airlines, easyJet, eDreams ODIGEO, Hotels.com, KLM, TravelStart and Emirates. As a B2B company we focus solely on helping our airline and travel partners build their brands, not our own. CarTrawler was established in 2004. Our headquarters are in Dublin, Ireland, with an office in New York. For more information visit www.cartrawler.com.”
About IdeaWorksCompany: IdeaWorksCompany boosts airline profits through innovations in ancillary revenue, a la carte pricing, and loyalty marketing. The firm was founded in 1996 and has an international client list of airlines and other travel industry firms in Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the Americas. IdeaWorksCompany enjoys a reputation as a global resource for ancillary revenue strategy, on-site executive workshops, and research reports. Learn more at IdeaWorksCompany.com.